Monday, February 28, 2011

Impossible outcomes


So continuing on the musical education I was partaking, I was discovering like with bands like The Beatles, The Who (pre reunion x3 +new album) and so forth, there were bands that had I only known about them a few years prior I could have gotten to see them live.

Prime example, Guided By Voices, I find out about them in 2004 to discover that they are having their final show new years eve that year. Then Derrick Plourde, for the first two Lagwagon albums and Bad Astronaut commits suicide preventing any new albums or potential tours. Jeff Mangum of Neutral Milk Hotel writes one of the best albums of the the decade and potentially the century, and hangs up the hat. The Get Up Kids decide to go the many side projected ways, Brand New hadn't released anything new and wouldn't for another 2 years. Alkaline Trio took a turn for the worse direction wise. How could there be so much good music but a lack of bands still producing it?

Well thankfully I'm on music nerd overload right now. GBV have reunited, unfortunately no Canadian dates. The Get Up Kids get back together and release a damn good new interesting album that was as challenging as it was enjoyable to experience. I have tickets to see them next week for the first time ever. Pavement set aside their differences last year for Matador Records 21st anniversary. So I got to see probably one of my desert island top 5 favourite bands play live. Most recently exciting is I got tickets to see both nights of Jeff Mangum in Toronto. After 13 of almost complete no activity on the music scene. (other than hanging out and recording with Superchunk, Apples in Stereo and Circulatory System) This may be the show I tell my grand kids about. And if there is any justice in the world they will be jealous and appreciative of the historical significance of this and be proud I was apart of it.

Moving along into my delusions of grandeur... I never would have thought I would get closer to seeing Bad Astronaut play live than when I saw Yellowcard open for Lagwagon. Yellowcard covered a Bad Astronaut song and Joey Cape came out and sang it with them. I was hoping Joey would have pulled out some of that material at his solo acoustic show but he didn't. Well now the guys in Bad Astronaut have decided to give itself an official ending worthy of the work they put out during their tenure. One last tour with a stop at the Horseshoe Tavern. Most excitingly is John Snodgrass is opening for them. You may know him from Alt Country band Drag the River or the twang tinged Punk Rock of Armchair Martian who did a split e.p. with Bad Astronaut. First time I will be seeing him live too. I highly recommend checking out Armchair Martian and Bad Astronaut.



This year is going to be seriously awesome for concerts I can't wait to see what else is in store.


Stay tuned plenty of more name dropping and ranting about how much and why I love them and you should too. I may consolidate some of the info in that past few posts and make a beginners guide listening list as a digital mix tape if any of you are looking for some new music an are curious of recommendations.

M.Hask!

No comments:

Post a Comment